Saturday, September 26, 2009

Strunk & White's Rule #17: Omit Needless Words


"Vigorous writing is concise.  A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts.  This requires not that the writer make all sentences short, or avoid all detail and treat subjects only in outline, but that every word tell."
-Strunk and White, The Elements of Style

The trouble is, how does one omit needless words when one has been unable to write?  I'm working on it, but finding the time has been difficult.  I forgot how exhausting the first week of school is, particularly in Fall Quarter.  The inevitable amount of loafing that occurs over the summer atrophies all of those mental endurance muscles built up during the academic year.  The compartments in which one sorts duties to work, family, and sleep weaken.  I've done myself the huge favor of adding an additional responsibility:  blogging.  What I really need to do is find balance.  A warning about this came this week:  Find balance, or your body will stop you.

I woke up at 1am this Thursday with the sensation that a grain of sand had wedged itself between my left eyeball and eyelid.  I took out my contacts immediately (I know, I know...you shouldn't sleep in your contacts, but my O.D. gave me these nifty "Night-Day" contacts and said they'd be fine) and tried to go back to sleep.  Instead, I spent an hour alternating between flushing my eye of whatever foreign body was trapped in there, and trying to convince myself that I was just imagining things and my eye was perfectly fine - just really dry from wearing my contacts for too long.  Eventually, I did fall asleep, but spent the next hour of sleep dreaming that my eye was somehow keeping me from getting something accomplished.

My daughter woke me up twice that night - at 3am and again at 5am - and each time I checked my eye in her bathroom mirror.  I must have been rubbing it in my sleep, because each time it was progressively pinker.  By the time my alarm went off at 6:30, my eye was a bright shade of scarlet.  Foolishly, I put my contact in (the grain-of-sand sensation was the same, with or without the contacts) and went to school.  Ten minutes after I logged onto my computer, the pain became nearly unbearable.  I ran to the bathroom to check my eye yet again.  This time, I noticed something off:  two cream-colored spots on my cornea right in front of my iris. 

So I called the doc.  He took a picture of my eye.  It looked something like this: 

Corneal ulcers, otherwise known as the reason you shouldn't sleep in your contact lenses.  And, just like an ulcer, corneal ulcers are exacerbated by stress.  There was no balance this week, thus I have two ulcers on my eye.  They are also a pain in the ass.  I have to put antibiotic drops in my eyes every two hours.  My eye hurts if I stare at a computer screen for too long.  It's also incredibly sensitive to light, and when I look too quickly in another direction, the entire left side of my face hurts. 

Lesson learned.  I can't wear my contacts for a week or so anyway.  Long story short, this is one of the many reasons why my writing hasn't been as normal as it should be.  It's all my fault - no one to blame for this temporary handicap but me. 

Take care of yourself, take care of your eyes, and find balance.  I'm sure there are plenty of words in this blog that should be omitted, but my eye is tired.  I'll edit later.

4 comments:

  1. This is your place to use RULE #17

    "The inevitable amount of loafing that occurs over the summer atrophies all of those mental endurance muscles built up during the academic year."

    You didn't write it, you beat it to death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just couldn't leave your website before telling you that I truly enjoyed the top quality info you present to your visitors? Will be back again frequently to check up on new posts. door too heavy

    ReplyDelete